What happens when a teen who has been convicted of a DUI receives a consent decree?

They would be assigned a probation officer.  That officer would see them at least once a month.  The officer would be in touch with school officials.  He would touch base with other parts of the kid’s life, you know, if he had a job or whatever.  He’d check on that piece of it.  He’d check with the parents once a month and make sure everything is going well.

The youth would be asked to give a urine sample once a month, just to make sure that we don’t have other issues, you know, drug or alcohol issues that we have to deal with.  And then if he stays on the straight and narrow, stays out of trouble, it’s a six month deal.  If there are issues, that consent decree can be extended for an additional 6 months, but at the end of the 12 month period he either has to be brought back or released.

And if a kid does not successfully complete his consent decree he is brought back before the judge.  He is adjudicated on the charge and generally placed on probation.