What happens when a teen who has been convicted of a DUI does not receive a consent decree?

There are several different things that could happen, but what would happen most frequently is they would be placed on probation – official probation.  Now the difference between the two is, with the consent decree, the adjudication is withheld and they complete their time and the matter is dismissed.  They have no record.

When they’re placed on probation as soon as they’re adjudicated delinquent, the record begins and probation is indeterminent.  They can be on probation for six months or six years, you know, and oftentimes it depends on their behavior.  They could also be placed in a delinquent facility depending on other circumstances and that happens to a lot of kids who come in, who have records and other significant issues.