Driving under the influence in Pennsylvania is a criminal offense. If convicted, you face costly fines, suspension or revocation of your driver’s license, mandatory alcohol-education classes, an increase in or cancellation of your auto insurance policy, having to drive with an ignition interlock device in your vehicle, probation, and possible jail time. DUIs are very serious, which is why you need a Chester, PA DUI lawyer fighting for your rights.
Act Swiftly to Schedule a DMV Hearing
Just because you’ve been charged with a DUI doesn’t mean your life is over. An experienced Chester DUI attorney can help, but it’s important to act quickly. There are certain deadlines that come up as soon as 10 days after your arrest that can affect your ability to drive. For example, requesting a DMV hearing can help keep your driver’s license from being suspended after your 30-day provisional license expires.
DMV hearings, however, are more complicated than they seem. It’s important to have a DUI lawyer in Chester like Steven Kellis who has the experience and familiarity with the process that can help you keep your driving privileges.
Penalties for DUI
Penalties for DUI can include anything from hefty fines to jail time. The actual penalties you face will depend on a number of factors, such as:
- Whether this is your first DUI, or you’re a repeat offender
- Your blood alcohol content, and the type of vehicle you were driving (non-commercial, commercial, or a school bus). Pennsylvania’s new grading system imposes increased penalties for non-commercial drivers based on their level of intoxication: General Impairment (.08 – .099 percent), High BAC (.10-.159 percent), and Highest BAC (.16 percent and higher)
- Whether there were any property damages, vehicle damages, or bodily injuries
- If there were any passengers in the vehicle under 14 years old
- Whether a minor was driving under the influence
Depending on the circumstances of your DUI, you can face fines ranging from $300-$10,000; imprisonment for up to 6 months; suspension of your driver’s license for up to 18 months; up to 150 hours of community service; court-ordered alcohol highway safety school; substance abuse treatment; and more. An experienced drunk driving defense lawyer will be able to review the facts of your case to help you pursue the best possible outcome.
Don’t Wait Until It’s Too Late – Schedule a Free Consultation Today!
If you have been arrested for a DUI in Chester, PA, it’s prudent to hire a DUI lawyer as soon as possible. It’s important to be proactive in handling your DUI case, and hiring a lawyer is the first step. Contact The Law Offices of Steven E. Kellis today to schedule a free consultation. We are available 24 hours per day, and are dedicated to helping you achieve a favorable outcome. Call now: (267) 341-1365. There is no obligation and all consultations are confidential.